lyNN'sOz

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Settling into a new institute – the WEHI

After 6 weeks at the WEHI, I can offer the following comments about the new institute which is about to become my second home.

First off, there are a few similarities to OCI. There’s an RIS section (technology division) which has a stronghold on all computers hooked up to the network here. Two, there’s a media, animal and sterilization division. There’s a bunch of politics brewing as well but isn’t there always in every institute. However, I think that’s about all that ends up being similar.

I think that’s where the similarities end. The RIS division here has been fairly prompt with any problems that I’ve had. This division services all of WEHI’s approximately 400 or so people with their individual and lab computers. They also maintain all printers on the network – colour and black (note, the colour lasers are free access to anyone in the institute to print to unlike in OCI). The WEHI has a strong animal research component and each lab has a technician who maintains lines and is educated in pretty much all animal related techniques required (eg – organ removal!). It has made moving into mouse models easier for me. The amount of collaboration within the WEHI appears to be substantial between people on the same floor. Part of this appears to be due to the open-lab concept at the WEHI as well as the morning and afternoon tea breaks that occur at 10:30 am and 3:30pm in the Tea Room. Yes, there is a room actually called the Tea Room. Although each floor tends to segregate into their own tables each and every break – but it is pretty normal to find people talking shop, discussing the latest paper or chatting about life in general. Add to this, the institute becomes vacant around 6 pm and it’s really quite something to realize how well published this institute is. Any of you that know me well, know how much time I spend in the lab – well hopefully I’ll learn something from this institute. Or then again, maybe I just don’t see it yet. But lunch with some fellow Canadians who have been here for 7 yrs confirmed what I observe so once I figure out their secret, I’ll let you in on it.

The View from the Tea Room

2 Comments:

  • again, a picture of melbourne with noooobody in it!

    where are all the people?

    soylent green?

    :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

  • The pictures of the people are just below those of Melbourne. They just look kind of funny.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home