lyNN'sOz

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The new language of life is math

I've often contemplated whether life could be translated into a series of mathematical equations. This isn't really a new concept at all... but let's put it into practise. For example: I run at a pace of x. Mark runs at a pace of 5x. Most of the people in our triclub run at 5-6x. Therefore, Mark, being in close proximity to the rest of the group is likely, through Brownian motion - to meet more people than me, running at x.

Certainly for science, biology has increasingly become reliant on statistics and computers. All the tests we are now doing are becoming more quantitative: real-time PCR, microarrays, proteomics. At times, as a potential biologist (note, i still have no idea what realm of science i do), I feel that my subsistence to the science world is becoming increasingly diminished and worthless in terms of job prospects. It's a rather depressing thought - and so, I've decided that I must make myself a more attractive biologist (or whatever I am) by learning how to program, again. But in R. stay tuned for what will turn out to be what promises to be a fairly painful journey.

2 Comments:

  • I don't know if you remember Craig J.'s definition of Brownian motion - but just thinking of a 'brownie in motion' makes me laugh *hehe*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 AM  

  • funny, funny steve. yes, look out in your next triathlon magazine, i'm sure there will be some model draped over a P3 and there will actually be guys drooling over it - i mean her.

    By Blogger lyNN, at 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home